About these legal docs
There are three legal documents that help users and accounts interact on SaferMe harmoniously.
If you have any questions about the intent of these legal documents – our team is a good and reasonable bunch – we will try to answer your questions directly if you make contact.
The three legal documents are:
Effective Date: 31st August 2020
2. Third-Party Services
3. Information that we collect about you
We collect and process personal information about you when you use our Services so that we can provide you with the Services that you have chosen to use. We do this for instance when you download and install our applications, when you register for a demo, log into your account, contact us or submit a support ticket.
- Creating an account: It is entirely up to you to decide whether you want to use our Services. If you choose to use our Services, then you have to create an account in order to log into our Services.
- Newsletter: If you subscribe to our newsletter then we will collect your name, surname, and email address.
- Customer Support: We may collect Personal Information that you provide to us when you contact us with questions or comments about our Services. We may collect and process Personal Information such as your device ID, Email, User ID, device type, operating system, available storage on your phone, phone platform and carrier, country code, and language. We only collect what we need to support you, and you can request that we delete this information.
- Report Details and Metadata: We collect data from reports you make in the platform, including data from image, video and other files which may be shared. We also collect metadata about your reports and your interaction with other reports and our overall Services.
- Technical Information: When you use our Services, we may automatically collect and process Personal Information.
- Metadata: When you use our Services metadata is generated that provides additional context about the way you are using the Services. For example, the SaferMe app logs, the duration and minutes that you use our Services.
- Log data: Our servers automatically collect information when you access or use our Services and record it in log files. This log data may include your device’s IP address, network status, information about browser configuration, language preferences, cookie data, bug tracking, and crash reporting data. This information is important and enables us to provide our services to you.
- Device information: SaferMe collects information about devices accessing the Services, including the type of device, what operating system is used, device settings, device ID, Email address, user ID, device type and model, the device’s operating system, vendor ID, the phone storage available, platform, network carrier. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on the type of device used and its settings. This information helps us diagnose the cause of any problems, as well as to develop and maintain compatibility with the devices our clients use.
- Country information: We receive information from your device and about the country you access our Services from. We may also collect location information from devices in accordance with the consent process provided by your device. If you opt into sharing your location information, you can subsequently stop sharing this information at any time by deleting the SaferMe app or changing the preferences on your device. Please note, however, that if you withdraw consent to the sharing of location information, you will no longer be able to use some features of the SaferMe app.
4. Why we collect information about you
We use Personal Information about you for the following purposes:
- provide and manage your access to our Services;
- update, maintain and protect our Services, including software updates;
- respond to your questions and communications to us;
- for account management and other administrative matters, including billing and collection; prevent and investigate fraud and other misuses;
- protect our rights or our property; send you service-related information, including incident and hazard reports, confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- deliver advertising and marketing and promotional information to you;
- notify you about changes to our Services;
- create a list of actual and prospective users and subscribers for our Services;
- assemble statistics regarding the use of our Services;
for any other purpose we describe at the time we collect Personal Information from you; and
- for any reason, you engage us.
5. Cookies and advertisements
When you use our Services, we may store cookies on your device in order to facilitate and customise your use of our Services. A cookie is a small data file, which is placed on your computer or mobile device that can later be retrieved to identify you. You can usually remove or reject cookies through the settings on your browser or device.
- allow us to recognise you and your device, for example by identifying your IP address;
- provide you with more customised Services, for example, to provide our Services in your preferred language; or
- obtain data which will allow us to understand how people are using our Services so that we can improve them.
6. How we share and disclose information
We may disclose to the following categories of third parties the Personal Information which you provide yourself to the Service or which we collect in the Service:
- Affiliates: SaferMe may share information with its corporate affiliates, parents and/or subsidiaries.
- Change Control: In the event of a merger, acquisition, restructure, bankruptcy, or other similar events, any information in our possession may be transferred to our successor or assignee.
- Aggregated Data: We may disclose information to third parties in an aggregate and anonymized format that does not constitute Personal Information under the applicable law.
- Public authorities: SaferMe may disclose Personal Information to public authorities or law enforcement if we have reason to believe that we must disclose Personal Information in response to legal process (for example a court order, search warrant), that it is appropriate in the context of public health, or to comply with any applicable laws or regulations.
SaferMe takes data security seriously. We take commercially reasonable security measures to protect your Personal Information against accidental or unlawful destruction or loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access, use and all other unlawful forms of processing of the data in our possession. Among others, we employ the following security measures:
We encrypt many of our Services using SSL and other common encryption technologies.
For instance, we encrypt personal information ‘At Rest’ using AES, SHA and other algorithms in line with industry best practice. We use up to date SSL connections to ensure the security of personal information when transmitting over networks such as the Internet.
Although we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised access, hacking, data loss, or other breaches will never occur. We cannot guarantee the security of your information while it is being transmitted to our Services or systems. Any transmission of your Personal Information is at your own risk.
The Services are not intended for children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under 13. If we become aware that Personal Information we hold relates to a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that information from our Services, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
10. How long we keep information
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or as needed to provide you with Services. We may retain some Personal Information after you have deleted your account or stopped using our Services, if we need that information to comply with our legal obligations (this only applies to account owner users).
11. International Data Transfer
SaferMe may transfer your Personal Information to countries other than the one in which you live. We transfer and process Personal Information to New Zealand. The European Commission recognises that New Zealand provides adequate privacy protection.
Third-Party Services Providers that we use to process your data (such as Google, AWS, and Apple) have self-certified their compliance with the E.U.- U.S. Privacy Shield and Swiss – U.S. Privacy Shield. These frameworks were developed to enable companies to comply with data protection requirements when transferring Personal Information from the European Union and Switzerland to the United States.
12. Your Rights
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to:
- request access to Personal Information that we hold about you;
- to have incomplete, incorrect, out-dated, or unnecessary Personal Information corrected, deleted, or updated;
- restrict the way we process your Personal Information;
- request to transfer your Personal Information to third-party service providers; and
lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
13. How we respond to your inquiries
We will respond to your access request without undue delay and in any event within one month of receipt of your access request.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please contact us at email@example.com
14. Deleting your Account
You can delete your account at any time. If you choose to delete your account, we will delete your account information as soon as possible.
Information that you have shared or reported through our incident reporting Services cannot be amended or deleted by us where it is in the control of a third-party platform.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area and believe we maintain your Personal Information within the scope of the GDPR, you may direct questions or complaints to our data protection authority:
Drottninggatan 29, 5th floor
Telephone: +46 8 657 61 00
Telefax: +46 8 652 86 52
15. Contacting SaferMe
Level 3, 354 Lambton Quay, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
16. Meaning of Personal Information